Monday, January 28, 2013

Pride and Prejudice Appreciation Post


Hey, everyone! Today, in 1813, a novel written by "A Lady" called Pride and Prejudice was published by Thomas Egerton of London.  This novel would go onto be Jane Austen's most successful novel (to say the least) and one of the most successful English novels of all time.

YAY!!!

Personally, I have loved Jane Austen since I first read P&P in seventh grade. I think it really molded by reading tastes fro then on out.  If you haven't read this book yet, today is a great day to start it. it's timeless for a reason! 

If you're not the reading type (or simply don't have time), I have a few adaptions to recommend you! 

Firstly, you could watch the Pride and Prejudice movie with Keira Knightley as Lizzie Bennet. 

Or you could watch the BBC miniseries adaptation with Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy. 

Or you can start The Lizzie Bennet Diaries, which is a modern take on the novel, a web series on Youtube. It's still running, so you would get your Austen fix every week! 

Another reason this novel is so timeless are the quotes! I love quotes and this book has some great ones! 


"It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single man  in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife."

"In vain have I struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. you must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you."

"Vanity and pride are different things, though the words are often used synonymous  A person may be proud without being vain. Pride relates more to our opinion of ourselves, vanity to what we would have others think of us.” 

I cannot fix on the hour, or the spot, or the look or the words, which laid the foundation. It is too long ago. I was in the middle before I knew that I had begun.

Also, check out some of these awesome covers! I love seeing fun covers of older books, like P&P. 
Pride and Prejudice
From Penguin. I love Penguin covers!
Pride and Prejudice
Random House UK
Pride and Prejudice
And one from B&N. Love the simplicity!
Pride and Prejudice
And another from Penguin
So in short, you should definitely read Pride and Prejudice because not only is it a good story, but it is also timeless. 

Have you read P&P? Did you love it? Would you marry Mr. Darcy? Let me know in the comments! 

No comments:

Post a Comment