Saturday, January 19, 2013

Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl

Beautiful Creatures (Caster Chronicles, #1)
Photo from Goodreads 

Title: Beautiful Creatures
Authors: Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl
Publisher: Little, Brown and Company- December 1st, 2009 
Plot Summary from Goodreads
There were no surprises in Gatlin County.
We were pretty much the epicenter of the middle of nowhere.

At least, that's what I thought.
Turns out, I couldn't have been more wrong.
There was a curse.
There was a girl.
And in the end, there was a grave.

Lena Duchannes is unlike anyone the small Southern town of Gatlin has ever seen, and she's struggling to conceal her power and a curse that has haunted her family for generations. But even within the overgrown gardens, murky swamps and crumbling graveyards of the forgotten South, a secret cannot stay hidden forever.

Ethan Wate, who has been counting the months until he can escape from Gatlin, is haunted by dreams of a beautiful girl he has never met. When Lena moves into the town's oldest and most infamous plantation, Ethan is inexplicably drawn to her and determined to uncover the connection between them.

In a town with no surprises, one secret could change everything


Fiona's Grade: B 

When this book first came out, I started it, but didn't really care for it so I stopped reading it after only a couple of pages. However, when I heard a movie was coming out, I decided I should pick it up and give it another try. And I actually really enjoyed it. 

When I started it, I really enjoyed the Southern small town aspect of it- how they were living in the past. Those are the kind of stories that interest me. The first subplot with the Civil War Era soldier was really interesting to me for that reason. Not so much the magical stuff until the second half of the book. Probably not even the second half, more like the last quarter. I also enjoyed all the references int he book, particularly when they were quoting all sorts of people at the meeting halfway through the book. 

My one thing I didn't really get about this book was the whole romance aspect. I just didn't see it. What I saw is that Ethan was an open-minded human being, unlike the rest of Gatlin and was interested in making a new friend- even if that new friend was a little odd. Also, they went from being kinda friends to being in love and refusing to admit it to being in love and admitting it. That just seemed really rushed to me. 

The characters were okay. When I picked up the book the first time, I thought Ethan was a girl. I didn't make that mistake the second time around. Truthfully, all the characters were stereotypical. No one surprised me. 

Overall, I enjoyed this book for the two plots in  its massive page number. If you like paranormal novels, this is one for you. It was a little dull at time, but fortunately, I could put it down and pick it up at my leisure. When I looked on Goodreads, it had some truly awful reviews; I don't think it is that bad. Sure it has some things that could be fixed (I even noticed a typo at one point), but it's a debut novel. I plan to check it out but don't know whether or not I will continue with the series. 

No comments:

Post a Comment