Thursday, July 11, 2013

Demonglass by Rachel Hawkins Review

Phot from Goodreads
Title: Demonglass
Author: Rachel Hawkins
Published: March 22nd, 2011 by Hyperion 

Plot Summary from Goodreads:
Sophie Mercer thought she was a witch. That was the whole reason she was sent to Hex Hall, a reform school for delinquent Prodigium (a.k.a. witches, shape-shifters, and faeries). But then she discovered the family secret, and the fact that her hot crush, Archer Cross, is an agent for The Eye, a group bent on wiping Prodigium off the face of the earth.

Turns out, Sophie's a demon, one of only two in the world-the other being her father. What's worse, she has powers that threaten the lives of everyone she loves. Which is precisely why Sophie decides she must go to London for the Removal, a dangerous procedure that will either destroy her powers for good-or kill her. 
But once Sophie arrives, she makes a shocking discovery. Her new housemates? They're demons too. Meaning, someone is raising demons in secret, with creepy plans to use their powers, and probably not for good. Meanwhile, The Eye is set on hunting Sophie down, and they're using Archer to do it. But it's not like she has feelings for him anymore. Does she? 

My thoughts:
I really enjoy this series. The second installment of this trilogy reads as fast as the first. Never a dull moment with this series. Early on, there was the usual love triangle element introduced, as is relatively popular in ya literature. However, I wouldn't call it a "love triangle" as much as a "love complication". You see, Sophie really likes Archer and while I much preferred the other guy, it was obvious who she was going to choose. There was no triangle about it.

Jenna also returned in this book, but I think the relationship between her and Sophie changed and was a little less delightful than in the previous book. I can't put my finger on it as to why though. I think they were just both busy doing other things this book so they just didn't have that much interaction. I really enjoyed seeing Sophie develop a relationship with her father and learn more about being a demon from him. It was nice to see them develop a relationship, even if it was strained at times.

There were definitely a lot of interesting twists I didn't see coming, which was nice. The ending was really intense and I'm glad I had the next one handy, as I wanted to know what happened next right away!

No comments:

Post a Comment