Wednesday, June 25, 2014

We Were Liars by E Lockhart Book Review

From Goodreads
Title: We Were Liars
Author: E. Lockhart
Published: May 13, 2014 by Delacorte Press

A beautiful and distinguished family.
A private island.
A brilliant, damaged girl; a passionate, political boy.
A group of four friends—the Liars—whose friendship turns destructive.
A revolution. An accident. A secret.
Lies upon lies.
True love.
The truth.

We Were Liars is a modern, sophisticated suspense novel from National Book Award finalist and Printz Award honoree E. Lockhart.


Read it.
And if anyone asks you how it ends, just LIE


With all of the hype surrounding this book, I was trying to not build this book up to much so I wouldn't be disappointed. I can't say I wasn't, but I can't say the hype is undeserved either.

I know everyone says to go into this book with as little information as possible, but that is what really makes the book so intriguing. You try to figure out the book along the way, giving it a mysterious element. I love the way the story is told, jumping around to different times throughout Cadence's life. The writing is really well done and the style fits well within the story. 

The ending was a little disappointing for me. I understood why the. Characters did what they did, but by not being fifteen, I was able to see the flaws in their plan as they concocted it and was just sitting there saying, No and why? While I didn't particularly like the way the book ended, I thought it was well done and was disappointed in myself for not seeing it sooner. 

There was only one thing I was confused about. I understand the thematic implications of why the book is called We Were Liars, but I can't figure out why they were called the liars?  Based on the information given to use, it didn't seem to me that they did an excessive amount of lying. 

3 comments:

  1. I know, never understood where the Liars nickname came from either, haha. I was a little disappointed in the ending too, especially since the plan had soooo many flaws to it. But I was mostly just in shock, I hadn't seen that coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I'm glad I'm not the only one! During the entire time they were planning, I was yelling at the book, "This is such a bad idea!" But I didn't see it coming either!

      Delete
    2. The last part was shocking. I was also thinking why the family called them "The Liars". Trying to figure out what they did when they were young which would link them in that name.

      Delete