Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: Books for People who like The Hunger Games


Top Ten Tuesday is a meme run by The Broke and the Bookish. This week's topic is "Books for People Who Like X". I chose The Hunger Games because  I wanted to showcase some of the good dystopian fiction floating around and I wanted to showcase  books with a strong female character.  These are in no particular order. Also, all links lead to Goodreads. 



1.  Divergent by Veronica Roth
This is sort of an auto-recommend for me when it comes to THG. Oh, oh you like you The Hunger Games? Read Divergent. Some people will argue that the two series are too similar, but they just share some traits on what makes a book dystopian.  Plus for a female character, you get Tris, who I adore.


2. Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder
This book is not a dystopian story. However, the government structure kinda reminds me of a dystopian, I chose this one for Yelena, a strong female character who makes an interesting choice. 


3. Nineteen Eighty Four by George Orwell
This is not one of my favorites. However, it is a classic dystopian. It really lacks a strong female character, but is very interesting nonetheless. I may end up rereading it soon to see if my opinion has changed in the past five years. 


4. Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
I have a soft spot for Ray Bradbury's writing style and I actually just read this recently. It's a really interesting look at a life without books (if you can imagine such a thing). 


5. Graceling by Kristin Cashore
I'm actually reading this right now and a good portion of it is just Katsa running around going, "I CAN'T BE TAMED!" So while it's not a dystopian, it definitely as a strong female character. 


6.  Anthem by Ayn Rand
This is another one I read in ninth grade. However, I actually liked this one. A really good dystopian about the idea of identity. 


7. The Giver by Lois Lowry 
Another classic dystopian that I didn't know was a series until five seconds ago. I really enjoyed this one for the most part, though the ending left me hanging. 


8.  Uglies by Scott Westerfield
This is another dystopian series that is about "turning pretty" even though there is more to being pretty than physical features. I really like the first book but the series kinda goes downhill for me.

9. Wither by Lauren DeStefano
This is one that I am hopefully going to read soon. I am definitely intrigued by it. 


10. Delirium by Lauren Oliver
See above. These both have interesting world concepts that I am pretty sure they will deserve to be on this list. 


That's my ten choices if you like The Hunger Games. What else would you recommend? 

8 comments:

  1. I still have not read the Hunger Games- my roomie (and everyone I know) loved it, but I need to get on that bandwagon. Right now I'm reading Tina Fey's book, Bossypants, love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read Bossypants yet, but I read Mindy Kaling's book which was hilarious!

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed The Hunger Games series, but havent read any of the others so i will definitely have to check those out. Great List!
    My TTT
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loads of people did The Hunger Games this week. I didn't realise the similarities between the government set-up in Poison Study and The Hunger Games...

    New follower,

    My Top Ten Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not surprised that most people did The Hunger Games this week. And I think the only reason I made those connections is because I read Poison Study right after I read the first Hunger Games book.

      Delete
  4. I really like your list. I think 1984 and Fahrenheit 451 are good dystopias but in ways that are completely different than The Hunger Games. I also like Uglies and The Giver and I really want to read Poison Study and Wither.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I really like Poison Study. Hope you enjoy it!

      Delete