Saturday, December 8, 2012

Sapphire Blue by Kerstin Gier Book Review

Sapphire Blue (The Ruby Red Trilogy, #2)
photo from Goodreads
Title: Sapphire Blue
Author: Kerstin Gier
Publisher: Henry Holt and Co. Oct. 26th, 2012
Synopsis from Goodreads:
Gwen’s life has been a rollercoaster since she discovered she was the Ruby, the final member of the secret time-traveling Circle of Twelve. In between searching through history for the other time-travelers and asking for a bit of their blood (gross!), she’s been trying to figure out what all the mysteries and prophecies surrounding the Circle really mean.

At least Gwen has plenty of help. Her best friend Lesley follows every lead diligently on the Internet. James the ghost teaches Gwen how to fit in at an eighteenth century party. And Xemerius, the gargoyle demon who has been following Gwen since he caught her kissing Gideon in a church, offers advice on everything. Oh, yes. And of course there is Gideon, the Diamond. One minute he’s very warm indeed; the next he’s freezing cold. Gwen’s not sure what’s going on there, but she’s pretty much destined to find out.

Fiona's grade: A 
This book continues right where Ruby Red left off. It then continues at a world-wind pace. It is remarkable how much time does not pass from the start of the book to the end of the book, and so much happens! It's really rather ridiculous. Like Ruby Red, this book leaves you on a weird cliffhanger, and it makes you really want the next one. I was appreciate the complexity of the plot. I have no idea what's going on sometimes with the Circle and it's wonderful.

I really love all the characters in this book. I love that we got to see more of Gwen's family. I really liked her grandfather and would love to see more of him in the future. I also liked that we got to see a little more of Mr. George. Charolette irked me; I don't know if she just wasn't as annoying in the first book or if I just realized how much I was annoyed by her. The count was the same as ever. And I'm a little confused about whether I like Gideon or not, he's an interesting one.

One thing that I find interesting about this series is the fact it is originally written in German and is being translated into English. It's a really interesting series and it would be very different if it had been written by an American author. I really enjoy it for that reason.

This was a great book and I really enjoyed reading it. They just need to translate the next one a little faster.

No comments:

Post a Comment